Thank you to all the parents/carers who came to the meeting with Michael Follett from OPAL on Monday to find out about our exciting new playground initiative. It is fantastic to know that so many of you support this project. For those who missed the meeting, the following points explain the rationale of the Opal initiative.
- Research shows that play contributes to children’s physical and emotional health, as well as their learning and enjoyment of school.
- Playtimes make up 20% of children’s school experience and need a strategic and well-planned approach.
- Well planned playtimes can help to reduce the amount of playtime-related behaviour issues throughout the school and make children happier.
- Improved playtimes result in happier, more creative, and well exercised children who settle into class much more quickly.
- OPAL is founded on the principles and values of play work, where the role of the adults is to understand, celebrate, resource, nurture and support the play process.
- Lastly, play is a human need and all children have the right to play!
We are constantly adding new play items to the playground, so a big thank you to everyone who has so far donated toys, books and other resources. Please keep on bringing in any toys or other items that you think the children would enjoy.
Finally, please look out for your invitation to come into school and play with the children and experience the new playground for yourselves. We look forward to seeing you there!