General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Like all organisations that keep or process personal data, we have been updating our systems and policies to take account of the new general data protection regulation (GDPR); which applies from the end of May 2018. The regulation gives more control to individuals over their personal information. It also places far more responsibility on organisations that collect and hold personal information to keep that information safe and secure.
As a result of the regulation we have:
- updated our Data Protection policies and Online Safety policy.
- conducted an audit to make sure we are only holding information that is relevant for Pakeman children and the safety of the entire school community.
- issued a new privacy notice that explains how we collect, process and store personal data.
- improved our technology so that staff can only access any school data away from school over a secure server rather than through any data storage devices.
- had staff and Governor training on keeping information safe and on the Data Protection Regulation.
There are more details in the Data Protection policy which makes clear the circumstances under which any personal data can be shared outside the school. For example, we will need explicit consent from you if we want to use your child’s photo in published material like brochures of funding applications or directly on a page of the website or newsletter. The policy also outlines the new rights individuals have to see information we hold about themselves and their child and describes how you can go about getting this information.
We will regularly update parents on any information relating to the regulation in newsletters. If after reading the new policies you have any questions or want more information, please contact the school office.
For further information on the GDPR please see the following documents:
- Pakeman Primary School Data Protection Policy – June 2018
- Pakeman Primary School Online Safety Policy
- Freedom of Information and Publication Policy- June 2018
- Information Retention and Records Management Policy and Schedule
- Pakeman Primary School Privacy Notice Parents and Carers
Please click here for the Department for Education’s Freedom of Information Publication Scheme for Schools.